The University of Maine at Farmington Geography and Environmental Planning program is designed to help you discover your own interests within the field of geography and environmental planning.
The UMF Geography and Environmental Planning program will provide you with the ability to think creatively and critically — giving you a strong skill set essential for fast-growing careers in areas such as:
- conservation and natural resources
- environmental justice and advocacy
- environmental health, environmental regulation and enforcement
- community planning
- international development
- mapping and geospatial technologies
- many other fields
Here, you’ll pursue personal and professional interests by choosing your own path in Geography or Environmental Policy and Planning.
In each path, you’ll develop expertise in one of several possible concentrations, such as:
- Peoples and Environments
- Communities and Development
- Nature and Society
- Development and Economics
- Environmental Health
Or you can design your own concentration — developing a specific tailored-just-for-you concentration that fits your personal interests and career goals.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
At UMF, you’ll engage in hands-on research projects and work side by side with faculty in the field and GIS lab on real world issues and solutions — local and global. You’ll also join a larger professional community by presenting your own research at campus-wide events and at regional and nation conferences.
Recent student research projects include:
- A video documentary of the Farmington street art scene
- A photo collage illustrating a student’s investigation of a public art project in Detroit
- A photographic documentary of skiing at Tuckerman Ravine, Mt. Washington
- An inventory of sustainability practices in Rangeley, Maine, resulting in a web map and interactive mobile app
- A study of Mayan women’s access to birth control in the Guatemalan highlands
- An analysis of a community gardening project at a middle school in Belfast, Maine.
注册就送38可微信提现Our graduates have worked as environmental educators, cartographers and GIS managers, business analysts, field technicians and managers at environmental consulting firms, planners and program directors for nonprofits and government agencies, Maine guides and tourism operators and in a variety of other careers.
This program qualifies for a New England Regional Student Program tuition discount of nearly $5,000 for residents of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Canada.